Experience Studies Actuary
Company: Society of Actuaries Research Institute
Posted on: May 13, 2022
Experience Studies Actuary
The Experience Studies Actuary enables the Society to develop new
experiences studies, compile and/or use collected data for new
methods and offerings to contributors, coordinate with outside
research partners and contractors, and conduct and improve
mortality and morbidity experience studies for the Society of
- Complete the following phases of research overseen by Project
Oversight Groups: development of the design study objectives,
content and output; preparation of data calls; collection,
cleansing and validation of the data to ensure a usable body of
data; analysis of the data; writing and development of the report
and supporting materials; solicitation of peer reviews and the
completion of the peer review; and the publication and marketing of
- Implement the following aspects of committee driven research:
development of the design study objectives, content and output;
preparation of data calls; collection, cleansing and validation of
the data to ensure a usable body of data; analysis of the data;
implementation of solutions of business plans and solutions;
writing and development of the report and supporting materials;
solicitation of peer reviews and the completion of the peer review;
and the publication and marketing of results.
- Manage the "Request for Proposal" process in the selection of
data vendors to collect, cleanse and compile the data.
- Assist with contractors, SOA legal counsel and SOA management
to ensure appropriate vendor contracts are approved and
- Validate, cleanse and compile data collected for experience
studies and/or manage the work of internal resources and external
data vendors or contractors to validate, cleanse and compile data
to ensure a sound, usable, body of data.
- Work with external data vendors and contractors, to ensure a
sound, usable, body of data.
- Establish the necessary Experience Studies Committees as needed
to conduct and prepare studies.
- Establish the necessary Project Oversight Groups as needed to
- Provide information to Marketing and Communications to allow
appropriate promotion of completed studies.
- Work with SOA legal counsel to effectively manage legal and
reputational risk associated with experience studies.
- Complete analysis and research on data collected by the
statistical agent requested by regulators and statistical agents
appointed by regulators.
- Attend SOA meetings and prepare and present presentations on
SOA Research.EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED (an equivalent
amount of training, education and experience will be considered)
- Bachelor's degree in mathematics, statistics, actuarial
science, accounting, economics or a related field
- ASA required at a minimum
- At least five years experience in support, experience
retrieval, research and report development and writing, and/or
actuarial table preparation. Experience with broad areas of
practice is desirable including life insurance, annuities,
retirement plans, long term care, disability income and other
- At least five years experience in project management or team
- At least five years experience with long-term care, individual
disability and/or group long term disability desired.KNOWLEDGE,
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Advanced working knowledge of Excel pivot tables or similar
data analytical software tools.
- Knowledge of predictive analytics programs, such as R, and
- Intermediate knowledge of SAS and SQL or ability and commitment
to obtain intermediate knowledge of SAS and SQL quickly.
- Advanced English and writing skills.
- Working knowledge of Word and other related software tools
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Access
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with people with
diverse backgrounds, experience and levels of authority
- Independent worker with ability to manage and prioritize
- Advanced management time and project management skills
We are moving to a hybrid work model in the coming months. Also,
our future plans for growth include the opening of a Chicago
office.The SOA will provide equal opportunity to all employees and
applicants for employment regardless of actual or perceived race,
color, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry,
disability (mental or physical), genetic information, military or
veteran status, marital status, order of protection status, gender
identity, sexual orientation or any other category protected by
applicable law. Such action shall include but is not limited to:
initial consideration for employment; job placement and assignment
of responsibilities; performance evaluation; promotion and
advancement; compensation and fringe benefits; training and
professional development opportunities; formulation and application
of human resource policies and rules; facility and service
accessibility; and discipline and termination.This job description
in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be
performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be
required to follow other job related instructions and to perform
other job related duties as requested, subject to all applicable
state and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may
be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable
state and federal laws.
Keywords: Society of Actuaries Research Institute, Schaumburg , Experience Studies Actuary, Accounting, Auditing , Schaumburg, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!