Jr. Mechanical Engineer
Posted on: September 14, 2020
IF YOU ARE A CURRENT MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS EMPLOYEE, PLEASE CLICK
THIS LINK TO APPLY THROUGH YOUR WORKDAY ACCOUNT.
At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer
to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications,
software, video and services help our customers work safely and
more efficiently. Whether it s helping firefighters see through
smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or
reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the
world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to
keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola
Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and
Our Applied Technology organization puts some of Motorola
Solutions' brightest minds on unique, highly challenging projects.
Based on decades of experience with our customers, we apply
leading-edge technologies to support security and safety throughout
the world. We engineer our products from start to finish and
manufacture them in-house. We're known for low volume and high
capability with focused specialization in areas including
software-defined radios, advanced antenna solutions, artificial
intelligence and machine learning, cybersecurity, signals
intelligence and more. We can't tell you much more about what we
do, but we can tell you it's amazing.
As a mechanical engineer, you will be a member of a small (2-6
person) multi-disciplinary team and will be responsible for design
concepts of mechanical components and assemblies that meet product
performance and expectations, reliability and robustness
requirements, manufacturing processes and safety guidelines for
mission-critical communication systems. You will also be
responsible for maintaining products that are production level
through continuous improvement which could include altering aspects
of the products to meet alternative customer needs.
* Working with a team of product development and manufacturing
engineers in all stages of the product life cycle.
* Creating and maintaining detailed CAD assemblies to include
custom mechanical components, custom printed circuit boards,
hardware, cabling, and various commercial components.
* Designing custom mechanical components applying knowledge of
materials and manufacturing to determine how a part should be made,
such as CNC machining, sheet metal forming, injection molding,
over-molding, thermal forming, die cutting, and laser cutting to
name a few.
* Applying sound engineering knowledge in the development of the
products to meet stringent specifications such as Military
* Performing thermal simulations and analysis of prototype designs
and incorporating results to enhance product design and
* Interpreting and generating 2D drawings per mechanical drafting
standards. Understanding of tolerances and effect on design.
* Setting up and maintaining bills of materials and releasing
mechanical prints. Supporting prototype/pilot builds.
* Performing mechanical verification tests per products
specifications and writing test reports.
* Developing product build documentation to support manufacturing
engineering and product transition from prototype to
* Reviewing production level bill of materials for cost reduction,
long lead time parts, and accuracy to assist in production builds
* Analyzing production level products for ways to improve
manufacturability and/or function and then execute those
improvements without disrupting production builds.
* Modifying designs and/or creating new product accessories to
integrate products that meet potential new customer
* Designing and creating new accessories that work with current
products; accessories include new cables, batteries, shipping
* Supporting trade shows through designing demonstration products
and/or kits based on current products.
* The applicant must be a flexible, results-oriented problem-solver
who requires minimal supervision. Projects may vary greatly from
one to the next, so the applicant must thrive on variety and enjoy
taking on new challenges.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFIED SKILLS
* Ability to use the latest CAD tools such as PTC Creo 3D modeling
and surfacing software, or equivalent, to design components and
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Familiarity with
FEA computer simulation tools is highly desired.
* Strong communication skills. Ability to communicate and present
conceptual ideas to technical audiences.
* Familiarity with material properties and design guidelines of
mechanical commodities such as plastics, die castings and sheet
* Familiarity with six sigma methodology or green belt/black belt
certification will be added advantage.
* Preference would be given to candidates with knowledge and
application of Design for Manufacturability and Assembly
* Bachelor's (BS) or Master's (MS) degree in Mechanical Engineering
or related technical field.
* Must be a U.S. citizen with ability to obtain necessary security
clearance as required by government contract. Some contracts may
have higher-level clearance requirements.
REFERRAL PAYMENT PLAN
Motorola Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or,
any other protected characteristic.
Keywords: Motorola, Schaumburg , Jr. Mechanical Engineer, Engineering , Schaumburg, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!