Company: Schaumburg Township District Library
Posted on: June 1, 2021
Schaumburg Township District Library has two open
Shelver positions. We are looking for two
competent, energetic and detail oriented Shelvers to support our
Hanover Park location. Our part-time opportunities would be
scheduled for Monday's and Wednesday's from 4:00pm-9:00pm and
Friday's from 9:30am-5:00pm or Tuesday's and Thursday's from
4:00pm-9:00pm and Saturday's from 9:30am-5:00pm. The schedule is
based on the needs of the library and could change if and when
needed. Starting pay is at $12.00/hour based on skills and
For All Employees:
- Ability to be a team-player and work pleasantly and effectively
with all patrons, staff, supervisors, and others.
- Ability to learn various job functions, perform them correctly,
and understand the necessity in overall library operations.
- Ability to independently function efficiently in a changing and
varied environment with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on details.
- Ability to follow all library policies and procedures.
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to incorporating principles
of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion into everyday work.
The Shelver is responsible for unloading carts, shelving
materials, and keeping the collections in order at the Hanover Park
Branch location. In addition, the Shelver must have working
knowledge of the SIRSI computer system and be able to provide
back-up coverage at the Public Desk for breaks, meal periods, and
when other Desk staff are taken away from the desk. This position
entails a great deal of physical exertion. This position requires
good organizational and communication skills and the flexibility
and training to move from task to task in a team environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Push heavy carts from area to area and unload materials
- Check library materials for damage, due date receipts, reserve
slips, etc. before shelving
- Shelve library materials in the appropriate areas by:
- Understanding all spine label designations
- Shelving materials in order of the Dewey Decimal system,
alphabetic order and numerical order
- Knowing the location of all categories of library material
- Improve the appearance and functionality of the Library
- Clean soiled materials and perform minor book repairs
- Check shelves and respond to inquiries on various reserve
reports, as requested.
- Assist patrons in the use of the online catalog, answer
directional and minor informational questions, assist patrons on
the use of the Library's computers and maintain working knowledge
of duties and responsibilities.
- Serve as backup in the absence of Branch employees at the
- Stay up-to-date on the computer hardware, software, changing
procedures and attend training.
- Other duties as assigned.
Less than high school education; or equivalent combination of
education and experience.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
The deadline to apply for the job posting is: Tuesday,
June 1st, 2021
If you are interested in applying for the Hanover Park Branch
Shelver position, please click the apply button.
Schaumburg Township District Library is an Equal Opportunity
Keywords: Schaumburg Township District Library, Schaumburg , Shelver, Other , Schaumburg, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!