Deputy Fire Chief - Operations
Company: Village of Schaumburg
Posted on: May 15, 2022
VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG
Human Resources Department
101 Schaumburg Court, -Schaumburg, IL 60193
The Village of Schaumburg is a thriving community of 78,732
residents located 12 miles west of O'Hare International Airport and
approximately 26 miles northwest of Chicago. Not only is Schaumburg
the twelfth-largest community in the State of Illinois, but it is
also home to the second-largest concentration of retail, office,
and commercial activity. -Notable village distinctions include
being named one of the "Top Ten Best Places to Live" by Money
Magazine; -being ranked No. 5 overall in WalletHub's "Best Illinois
Cities for Jobs"; and receiving the Distinguished Budget
Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association
for meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting for
the seventh consecutive year.
The village employs approximately 600 employees in 12 departments,
including police, fire, engineering and public works,
communications, community development, cultural services, economic
development, finance, general government, human resources,
information technology, and transportation. Our employees work to
serve the residents and strive to make Schaumburg the best
community it can be. -
NOW ACCEPTING -APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Deputy Fire Chief - Operations with an online application deadline
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
- Interviews will be conducted as applications are received. - This
position will remain open until filled.
STARTING SALARY RANGE: - $109,671.00 - $159,030.00. annually
dependent on qualifications. The salary range for this position is
$109,671.00 - $159,030.00.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents
verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the
This position is responsible for coordinating and preparing
assigned annual operating budgets, oversee budgetary expenditures,
monitor the compliancy of contractual obligations of bargaining
group contracts, assist with grievance hearings, the disciplining
of personnel, and contractual negotiations, assignment of
department personnel, coordination of Training and EMS divisions,
implementation of incident command system at all necessary
emergency incidents, over-all supervision of incident scene safety,
the effective and efficient mitigation of the emergency situation
until relieved by the Fire Chief. -
To succeed in this role, applicants will need to effectively and
clearly communicate to a full range of people, inside and outside
the organization, be capable of managing and prioritizing multiple
projects with thoroughness and accuracy and be able to work
cooperatively and effectively with others. -We are looking to add a
team member that can demonstrate strong leadership skills and
overcome challenges and defuse conflict.
1. - - -Manages multi-company emergency incidents by ensuring
adequate manpower and equipment are present, directs, assigns, and
coordinates essential emergency tasks, ensures personnel
accountability and scene safety to effectively mitigate the
emergency situation. It is the Deputy Chief's responsibility to
confirm that the Incident Command System (NIMS) is being
implemented, ensures sufficient support personnel are available
during large emergency incidents. -The Deputy Chief can assist or
will assume incident command responsibilities as well as
responsibilities outlined in the Schaumburg Operational Guidelines
until relieved by the Fire Chief.
2. - - -Coordinates and establishes standards for personnel
assignment, training, firefighting equipment, policies and
3. - - -Administers to personnel issues related to complaints,
absences, injuries, and workman compensation cases in conjunction
with the Human Resource Department, and disciplinary matters. -
4. - - -Administers to department budgetary concerns and
5. - - -Monitors the compliancy of contractual obligations of
bargaining group contracts, assists with grievance hearings.
6. - - -Promote and maintain good customer service practices with
the community, other Village agencies, represents the fire
department with inter-departmental groups and projects.
7. - - -Assists with career development opportunities, and prepares
annual performance evaluations for sub-ordinate officers.
8. - - -Assists in the department's Accreditation Program.
9. - - -Serves as liaison to the MABAS Division 1. -
10. - - -Performs other duties as assigned.
1. - - -Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university.
2. - - -Master's Degree preferred. If candidate does not possess a
Master's Degree at time of hire, they must obtain it within five
years of employment/promotion.
3. - - -National Incident Management System (NIMS) Incident Command
IS100, IS200, IS300, IS400, IS700, IS701, IS703, IS704, IS800
certifications to include any future NIMS requirements. - - -
4. - - -A minimum of three years of managerial experience
coordinating a range of activities undertaken by others that
involve directing, monitoring, and evaluating performance of staff
within a fire department or other emergency service agency.
5. - - -A minimum of three years of experience in incident command
in accordance with Federal, State, and local guidelines.
6. - - -Fire Officer I and II Certifications or equivalents in
accordance with the requirement of the State Fire Marshall's
7. - - -Possession of a valid driver's license.
8. - - -Proficiency with current computer software systems,
including email, calendar programs, job specific software, and
customer service systems preferred or within six months from date
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. - - -This position works in a typical office setting.
2. - - -Must have the ability to plan, direct and coordinate
emergency activities under extremely stressful situations for
prolong periods of time.
3. - - -Must communicate effectively both orally and in writing as
well as follow verbal and written instructions.
4. - - -Must have the ability to perform strenuous physical
activities to include standing, stooping, bending, crawling and
lifting 20 pounds or more during emergency conditions for prolong
periods of time.
5. - - -Subject to high levels of noise for extended periods.
6. - - -Subject to temperature extremes for prolonged periods.
7. - - -Exposure to fumes or disagreeable odors.
8. - - -Exposure to inclement weather conditions.
9. - - -Operation of special tools and equipment.
The Village of Schaumburg has a competitive benefit package which
includes: flexible benefit Section 125 plan including health,
dental, vision, and life insurance as well as medical and dependent
care flexible spending accounts, a retirement plan through the
Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, paid holidays, paid vacation,
sick leave, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review,
skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference
checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. - Chosen
candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history
investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination
and drug screen.
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Keywords: Village of Schaumburg, Schaumburg , Deputy Fire Chief - Operations, Other , Schaumburg, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!