Company: Society of Actuaries Research Institute
Posted on: May 20, 2023
DevOps Specialist This is a hybrid role which can be based in
our Schaumburg or downtown Chicago office. JOB SUMMARY: Responsible
for hands-on software development, system integration,
architecture, cloud infrastructure and system administration for
key critical business systems, including the Association Management
System, business intelligence platform, the organization's
integration strategy and supporting middleware. This position
involves prototyping, development and testing of key software
components in addition to serving in a critical operations role for
the system's virtual cloud infrastructure. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Develop and/or coordinate enhancements to the organizations
Association Management System and associated platforms, middleware,
interfaces and infrastructure. (70%)
- Design, develop and implement enhancements to critical business
systems (.NET and Salesforce).
- Oversee development of third-party enhancements involving the
Association Management System and/or associated services.
- Work with third-party vendors to establish project timelines
and effectively prioritize tasks.
- Manage projects to ensure timelines and project requirements
- Develop integration strategies and solutions using out of the
box and/or custom developed data/web services required for
integrating the organizations Association Management System with
third party applications.
- Perform code reviews for third party developed solutions and
oversee remediation efforts.
- Perform testing on third party developed solutions and/or
third-party interfaces for applications managed by the team.
- Develop and execute test scripts.
- Provide system administration and support for the organizations
Association Management System and associated platforms, cloud
infrastructure, middleware, interfaces and virtual cloud
- Work with stakeholders to understand business functions,
processes and problems and be prepared to offer solutions.
- Manage hosting and system administration for the cloud
infrastructure that supports the organization's business
intelligence functions and research databases.
- Monitor software releases and patches from vendors and perform
proactive maintenance on related platforms and dependencies.
- Monitor the Association Management System, associated web
properties and services for performance or service issues to ensure
maximum uptime and acceptable response time.
- Monitor industry developments in security and take proactive
action to ensure the teams web platforms are sufficiently protected
against malicious attacks
- Perform project-related planning and administrative tasks.
- Monitor trends in the industry and adapt the organization's
software development and system architecture accordingly.
- Provide leadership for application architecture design and
implementation and ensure security best practices are employed in
cloud environments and applications. (5%)
- Design and architect applications, integrations, and supporting
- In partnership with the cyber security team, ensure all
applications and enhancements are pen tested and secure for
production deployment. Manage the organization's source code
control repository, standards, processes, and strategies leveraged
internally and/or by third parties.
- Perform general planning and administrative tasks including but
not limited to:(5%)
- Work with third-party vendors to obtain quotes for platforms
- Provide management with regular updates on projects and
- Track/manage hosting fees and licensing costs for assigned
- This position requires 24-hour on-call support based on a
rotating schedule EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED (an equivalent
amount of training, education and experience will be considered)A
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in
Information Technology or Computer Science is desired (or
equivalent work experience in the Information Technology
industry)Requires at least three (3) years of hands-on software
development experiencing involving the Microsoft stack. Requires at
least three (2) years of hands-on system administration experience
with AWS (EC2, Elastic Load Balancing, Multi AZ, etc.)Requires at
least three (3) years of hands-on system administration experience
with the Microsoft Server platform (Microsoft IIS, Active
Directory, SQL Server)KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES including
competencies that may be representative but not all inclusive of
those commonly associated with this position.
- Knowledge of various web platforms and technologies, including
but not limited to:
- Primary Technologies:
- Amazon Web Services
- Salesforce CRM
- DNS (Domain name service)
- Microsoft IIS
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 (incl. Active Directory)
- Microsoft SQL Server
- HTML, CSS, XHTML, XML
- Microsoft .NET (ASP.NET)
- Web/Data Services
- Source Control - Microsoft Team Foundation Server
- Secondary Technologies
- Association Management System (Personify)
- DotNetNuke CMS
- Disaster Recovery Strategies
- Load Balancing
- Google Analytics
- XSL & XSLT
- Extensive knowledge in designing/coding responsive web
- Extensive knowledge in web application support and
- Knowledge in the design, development and deployment process of
mobile applications and responsive interfaces
- Knowledge of web systems architecture, including user
experience, design, development and deployment.
- Knowledge of business and project management principles in
regards to project planning, requirement definition, leadership and
- Strong knowledge of principles in providing excellent customer
service, including oral/written communication and assessment of
- Development and coding of programs automating administrative
- Critical thinking, problem solving, design, and most
critically, attention to performance, scalability,
- Communicate effectively and persuasively at all levels of the
organization - both orally and in writing.
- Manage multiple projects and prioritize tasks effectively.
- Multi-task, adhere to firm deadlines, and develop complete
- The ability to determine the best technology approach for
- The ability to build rapport, resolve conflict and create
consensus among a diverse group of stakeholders.
- The ability to find creative and cost-effective solutions to
- The ability to work collaboratively with other leaders,
employees, teammates key volunteers and stakeholders.
- The ability to read and understand information and ideas
presented in writing.
- The ability to work in a matrix management environment and take
responsibility for contributions to projects that may be headed by
someone outside of the IT department.
- Working knowledge of web browsers and behaviors on multiple
devices and multiple platforms. WORK ENVIRONMENT (environmental and
atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of
the functions of this job.
- Office environment
- Occasional work outside of normal business hours
- Some overnight travelSUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITES AND
COORDINATION required to perform the functions of this job.
- This position does not supervise any staff member EQUIPMENT
USED TO PERFORM THE JOB (may be representative but not all
inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Standard office equipment
- Personal computer (Laptop for 24 hour support)
- Mobile device(s) such as a smartphone and/or tablet
- Common software used to perform the job
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Web browsers (Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Safari)
- Remote Desktop Connectivity
- VPN, or other remote accessibility software PHYSICAL ABILITIES
that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions
of this job, with or without reasonable accommodation. Examples
- Prolonged periods of concentration and computer use
- Prolonged periods of sittingThe SOA will provide equal
opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment
regardless of actual or perceived race, color, religion, age, sex,
pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, disability (mental or
physical), genetic information, military or veteran status, marital
status, order of protection status, gender identity, sexual
orientation or any other category protected by applicable law. Such
action shall include but is not limited to: initial consideration
for employment; job placement and assignment of responsibilities;
performance evaluation; promotion and advancement; compensation and
fringe benefits; training and professional development
opportunities; formulation and application of human resource
policies and rules; facility and service accessibility; and
discipline and termination. This job description in no way states
or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the
employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to
follow other job-related instructions and to perform other
job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state
and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may be
subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable
state and federal laws. PI216042574
Keywords: Society of Actuaries Research Institute, Schaumburg , DevOps Specialist, Other , Schaumburg, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...